Important names, terms, and concepts (terms are from readings or class last time)
Important names, terms, and concepts
"God's Wife of Amun"
Hatshepsut (who was she?)
Major themes of the NK:
- Foreign policy
- Royal women
- Pharaoh’s divinity
- Popular culture and religion
- Monumental building (esp. temples)
- Funerary practices
Know these dates:
- 3000 BCE approximate unification of Egypt
- 2600s BCE beginning of Old Kingdom
- 2100s BCE end of Old Kingdom
- 2000s BCE beginning of Middle Kingdom
- 1600s BCE end of Middle Kingdom
- 1500s BCE beginning of New Kingdom
Read pp 1-40, 54-64 of Cooney's book:
- try to tease out the role of the God's Wife of Amun
- try to figure out the importance of Amun/Amun-Re
- What is Hatshepsut's role policitcally and religiously? How is religion connected to politics?
Bring to class questions you are interested in discussion.