Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Queens
Book of the Dead
Deir el Medina (what it was, who lived there, what we know about life/religion there – we will continue with it the following week)
20D looting of royal necropolis
Know these dates:
1) Be prepared to present the two articles you read about the Valley of the Kings online to the class.
2) Read the spells from the Book of the Dead carefully.
* What are these spells trying to accomplish? And to whom to they speak?
* For whom are these spells written? What do these spells tell us about the kind of afterlife this population expects or hopes to have?
* As you read them, compare them to other funerary/mortuary inscriptions we’ve read (Pyramid texts, Coffin Texts, autobiographies, and other inscriptions on funerary stelae). How are they similar or different to what we’ve read from the OK & MK?
3) What must life have been like in Deir el Medina for the people who built the Valleys of the Kings and Queens?
You are welcome to bring any other questions/discussion topics to class as well.